The American University of Beirut Medical Center (AUBMC)
The American University of Beirut (AUB)
Waterpipe Tobacco Smoking (WTS) Knowledge Hub
WTS KH Newsletter
(February, March, April and May 2018)
On January 15, 2016, the American University of Beirut (AUB) signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the Convention Secretariat of the World Health Organization (WHO) Framework Convention on Tobacco Control (FCTC) designating AUB as the Global Knowledge Hub (KH) for waterpipe tobacco smoking (WTS);
The WTS KH latest activities:
- Continuous exchange of scientific evidence and information with all the FCTC focal points
- Continuous update of the user friendly Knowledge Hub (KH) website which is searchable online: https://untobaccocontrol.org/kh/waterpipes/
- Continuous update of the Publication page: To meet the objectives of the KH, it was deemed necessary to be well informed of all recent scientific publications on waterpipe. For that purpose a software search tool for the Publication page was installed in cooperation with WHO IT team. This feature allows good knowledge of recent research and investigative work on WPS. It can also serve as a platform for researchers on WTS to share information and experiences and address any knowledge gaps.
- Continuous online activity and specifically on social media which includes updating the Facebook, twitter, YouTube, Instagram by publishing/sharing/posting related: papers, new studies, conferences, graphics, pictures, stories, short videos and fact sheets increasing awareness among the youth about the health effects of WTS, dispelling misconceptions about its safety, and informing them about the toxicants that are present in WTS.
- Developed an educational video/animation on WTS in English, French, and Arabic that was shared online on the WTS KH YouTube Channel
- In March 2018, The WTS KH adopted a statement on the Foundation for a Smoke-free World with the rest of the Parties under their expertise in relation to the WHO FCTC Knowledge Hubs and expressed its commitment to act in the spirit of Article 5.3 and its guidelines in carrying out the assigned activities. Read the statement here: https://goo.gl/tqTZp3
- In March 2018, The WTS KH participated in the Annual planning workshop for the FCTC 2030 Parties on the sidelines of the World Conference on Tobacco