On January 15, 2016, the American University of Beirut (AUB) signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the Convention Secretariat of the World Health Organization (WHO) Framework Convention on Tobacco Control (FCTC) designating AUB as the Global Knowledge Hub (KH) for waterpipe tobacco smoking (WTS). Learn More
The KH aims to improve the supply, exchange and accessibility of information around waterpipe tobacco smoking globally. It will focus on dissemination of research as well as building a comprehensive knowledge hub related to the health effects of WTS and aims to shape a global dialogue around waterpipe tobacco use prevention and control, and provide guidance to regulatory agencies.
- Support the Convention Secretariat in implementing COP decisions and the Secretariats’ work plan.
- Generate, exchange and share expertise information and knowledge about WTS.
- Provide preventive training and health promotion activities around waterpipe tobacco smoking issues.
- Promote and facilitate communication among parties, observers, IGOs, NGOs and other partners.
- Disseminate research findings in a user-friendly way to the public.
The WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco Control (WHO FCTC) is the first global public health treaty
It is an evidence-based treaty that reaffirms the right of all people to the highest standard of health